Your community needs you to take a stand against the sexual abuse and exploitation of our youth.
The facts are astounding.
- It is highly likely that you know a child who has been or is being abused.
- An estimated 1 in 10 children are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 30% of children are abused by family members.
- As many as 60% are abused by people the family trusts.
- About 35% of victims are 11 years old or younger.
- Nearly 40% are abused by older or larger children.
Leadership Thomas is a program of the Thomasville-Thomas County Chamber of Commerce designed to cultivate a diverse network of leaders committed to improving the community. This year’s class has joined forces with The Treehouse Children’s Advocacy Center to educate Southwest Georgia about childhood sexual abuse prevention.
The nationally-recognized Stewards of Children
program, developed by Darkness To Light, is a two-hour training using real people and real stories to teach community members how to protect children. Protecting children from sexual abuse is not only our moral duty, but the responsibility of every adult, and adult education is key to prevention.
Leadership Thomas is offering three Stewards of Children training sessions at Southern Regional Technical College, Building D, Room 106. The cost to participate is only $10.
Will you join us in this community-wide prevention effort?
- Wednesday, February 19 | 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Thursday, February 20 | 5:30 – 7:30 pm
- Saturday, February 22 | 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Will you invite your colleagues, family, and friends? If you have any questions about the training, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. In addition to the public sessions above, we can also bring the training to you – to your business, church group, school, or organization.
It is our goal to have 500 community members complete the Stewards of Children program in 2020. Imagine the impact an aware and educated body of adults will make to protect our precious children. It starts with you.